Ask a Question
Ask anything about this crag — we'll consult the analysis and do our best to answer
Questions are paused
AI analysis is paused while funding is sought for the running costs. Previous conversations are still readable below.
Previous Conversations
1 question(s)
214 days ago
Even on a south-facing, exposed boulder at Queens Crag, I'd still advise caution for Sunday (March 22nd). The forecast shows 1.2mm rain returning that day with 88% humidity and a low of -0.3°C — that's fresh moisture on top of rock that's only had five dry days to recover from weeks of saturation (89.5mm in 28 days). A south-facing aspect and wind exposure do help, but the fine-grained sandstone at 300m will still be holding internal moisture from the prolonged winter wet, and that overnight freeze creates freeze-thaw risk on damp rock.
Saturday the 21st would be the better option if you're set on visiting — it's the driest day in the forecast window (76% humidity, 12°C, light wind). A south-facing exposed boulder would get the best of the limited March sun. But even then I'd say assess conditions carefully on arrival: check the base of the boulder is bone dry, tap the rock and listen for a dull sound indicating moisture, and back off if anything feels even slightly greasy.
Which specific boulder or problems are you looking at — that might help me give more targeted advice?
1 question(s)
216 days ago
That south-facing boulder will be drying significantly faster than the main NW-facing crag — direct March sun, full wind exposure, and no drainage from above all help enormously. However, Sunday (March 22nd) gives only 4 broadly dry days after the last rain on the 16th, and the rock has absorbed 90mm over the past month. Even a well-exposed boulder needs time to shed that deep saturation. I'd say it's borderline — if you go, check the base of the boulder is bone dry, tap the rock and listen for a dull tone (indicates moisture), and back off if there's any doubt.
Monday the 23rd looks notably better with humidity dropping to 68% and decent wind — could that work for you instead?